Monday, April 19, 2004

"This is my quest: To follow that star no matter how hopeless, no matter how far" Man of La Mancha, "The Impossible Dream (The Quest)"

On Saturday Mom, Dad, Tita Beata, and I saw Man of La Mancha. I give the production 3 and 1/2 stars out of 4. :) A very solid cast delivered a fine performance. We, the audience, loved when Don Quixote sang "The Impossible Dream." People really cheered afterward. But what really got to me was the finale -- the reprise of the "Impossible Dream" sung by the ensemble. I literally got chills. It was one of the best theatrical moments I've ever experienced.

So why not a full four stars? Sorry, I guess I'm picky at times (and while I don't like to, I couldn't help compare the show to the Broadway version [Brian Stokes Mitchell is the quintessential Don Quixote/Cervantes to me]). I did really enjoy the show on Saturday. We had a good DQ/C, and Dulcinea/Aldonza can sing. I mean, SING. Charlie Parker is her name. Watch out, Broadway. :) (Charlie Parker. Charlie Parker. Where had I heard the name Charlie Parker? Today, I was reading my jazz textbook, and they mentioned Charlie Parker. Not this Charlie Parker. Anyway...)

The seats were great, the stage at Issaquah's Village Theatre is intimate, and I love that. The actors don't need microphones at times, especially if they can project. The set was pretty cool, but it's like apples and oranges if I compared the Broadway set to this one. Both are awesome in different ways. Seeing the show again made me see and hear new things I hadn't really picked up before in the dialogue. I can't provide a specific example, but I think when they are in the dungeon/prison, Cervantes says some really philosophical, profound (and maybe a bit cynical) lines. It still went over my head, but I just sensed the tone of bitterness in the actor's delivery. I wonder what the creators of the musical had in mind as their message. What's the context? Not really sure. Anyway, the show's certainly not at all happy, if you think about it; thank goodness for comic relief in Sancho and the hope of Don Quixote though.

When I listen to the 2002-3 revival Broadway recording, I like to skip to my favorites: "I Am I, Don Quixote," "Dulcinea," "TID," and the reprises of all three songs. Charlie Parker delivered on all her songs. I was really eager to hear her sing them, and I usually just skip over those songs when I listen to Man of La Mancha recordings. No offense to any Dulcineas/Aldonzas out there! In a way, it's almost unbearable to hear this character's strife. And to see the men torture her the way they do. It makes Don Quixote's character all that more admirable. It's like, thanks a lot Doctor Whoeveryouare for ruining Don Quixote.

Again, the Village Theatre production has a solid cast. When I heard them sing the finale, I knew they deserved the standing ovation that we gave them. :)

No comments: