Sunday, June 19, 2011

Pop-Up Pianos: Days 1 and 2 in Pictures

Piano #1: George Washington Bridge bus station -- one of four baby grands in Manhattan.  I played "Arithmetic" and "Nightminds"... hello, old friends.

Close-up of Piano #1

The piano at Highbridge Park

After a park staff member saw me take a picture of the covered piano, he asked if I wanted to play, and I said yes.  He took off the tarp for me but didn't know the lock combination, so I couldn't play.  This is the Ray Charles themed piano.

Piano #2: Tribeca Park... before I played, I listened to a father and daughter play at the piano.  They were improvising, but it was sweet to watch.  Happy Father's Day!  The highlight for me was playing "Gravity" by Sara Bareilles.  If you are my next-door neighbor, the last few weeks, you've heard me play/sing the bridge over and over again.  I can't get enough of it.

Piano #3: Washington Market Park.  I should've closed the lid before taking this picture!  Also, there's my binder o' sheet music.  As I mentioned on Twitter/Facebook, I got a couple sprays from a water gun from the other side of the bush.  Luckily it was while I was playing "Arithmetic", the one song I have memorized.  Funny though... I accidentally switched the second and third verses.  Maybe the kid with the water gun was "booing" me. Oh well.  I took the risk of getting my sheet music wet and played "Awake" by Josh Groban.  Happy to report there were no more sprays, thank you very much.

Piano #4: City Hall Park!  Had to wait a while before I could play, but when I did, I was quite pleased with the quality of the piano -- the sound projection, tuning, keyboard, pedals, you name it.  A woman said, "Bravo!" after I performed Missy Higgins' "The Sound of White," which I dedicate to O.

Piano #4

Piano #5: 9th Avenue and W. 14th Street. I felt a little rushed taking this picture because a  man was asking me about the pianos.  Turns out he could play, so I told him about the 88 Pop-Up Pianos.  I'm kind of fascinated by the decoration when I look at this picture.  While I was playing, I couldn't help but look around at the cars passing by, the people across the street, just outside the Apple Store, and the people sitting in the chairs behind me.  The piano was a little out of tune, but I performed "The Sound of White" and "Gravity" again.  

Piano #6: Fort Tryon Park.  This is the "improv" piano, but I heard  familiar songs (e.g., Fur Elise) from  those who played before me, so I was a little hesitant to improvise.  I sandwiched a bit of improvisation between "Arithmetic" and "Nightminds."  Wasn't completely content with improv, but hey, I tried.

Another shot of Piano #6

No comments: