Sunday, June 26, 2011

Pop-Up Pianos: Day 9 in Pictures

Piano #27: Battery Park.  The boy in the blue T-shirt played "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star" before me, and his father offered to take pictures.


The keys were a little trippy to look at while playing, so I didn't look when possible!

Piano #28: Stone Street.  This Yamaha is decorated with 30,000 rhinestones!

Piano #29: Tappen Park on Staten Island.  Sadly a little out of tune, but of course, I played anyway!  When I was playing "Awake," a little girl came up to me and asked me about my sheet music.  At least, I think she did.  She asked, "Are you following that?"  So I explained to her that yes, I was reading the music so that I could play.  I asked her if she wanted to play and invited her to sit down but she smiled and ran away.  I finished playing "Awake" and then headed back to the railway station.

Close-up of the painting on top of the piano.

Piano #30:  Richmond County Bank Park aka Ballpark at St. George aka Staten Island Yankees Stadium.  People were waiting around the stadium for the game to start.  While I was playing, a musician practiced the National Anthem and another singer practiced "God Bless America."  I stopped to listen to each, and of course plunked out the continuing notes when they stopped their sound checks!

Despite the fact that the piano was out of tune, I have come to the conclusion that I really like Wurlitzer upright pianos.  :)

Piano #31: St. George Ferry Terminal.  This baby grand could've used a tuning, too.  I found it amusing that the pedal sounded like geese honking.  It made my attempt to play a sad song quite humorous.  To me, at least.  :)  Lesson learned in Staten Island?  Do not play "Gravity" when the piano is out of tune.



Piano #32: McCarren Park.  This is definitely one of my favorite pianos this year.  I love artwork, the piano's sound, and the location.  Two thumbs way up for Sohmer & Co.  They rival my new love for Wurlitzers.  

The name of this piano is called Windows, and in the artist's own words:  "Windows represents the intertwined importance and unique influence of each individual's contribution to the community that is NYC."  Brilliant!


Piano #33: Alexa joined me at my final piano of the day -- East River State Park.  

I didn't fully appreciate the view while I was playing the piano, so I'm glad Alexa took this picture!

No comments: