Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Pop-Up Pianos: Day 4 in Pictures

A return trip to "Manhattan Rhapsody," where I played a couple songs.  This man played after me.  By the way, I am now the mayor of this piano on Foursquare.   For real!

I went to get dinner at a street cart and decided to check out the piano outside Alice Tully Hall... lo and behold, there's the guy from Rubenstein Atrium!   I didn't play again here but took another picture to capture the artist's design.

Piano #11: Montefiore Park on Broadway and W. 137th Street.   

There were a couple people standing on either side of me while I played and sang.  The piano was a little out of tune, so I felt weird singing, but it was what it was.

Piano #12: Riverbank State Park.  This year, there's only one piano here.  I think that applies to all Manhattan parks that had double pianos last year (Riverbank State, Tribeca, and Riverside).  When I arrived at the piano, I saw it was covered in blue tarp.  Luckily, the piano wasn't locked -- just covered for preventive measures, since it's supposed to rain the rest of the week.  So I uncovered it and played a couple songs.  After I finished, a boy walked up to me and said, "You did great!"  He was so sweet and genuine, and I thanked him.  He was able to play the can-can (OK, I know that's not the right title, but whatever) and said that he's taking lessons.  Wish I could have talked to him a little more, but he had to catch a bus with the people he was with.  I just wanted to ask him what his lessons were like, and I hope he gets to play some more.  When they left, I sat back down to play one more song, and a woman came up to me and asked if she could take my picture.  I happily said yes -- it's the first time someone asked if they could.  Very cool!  I literally just received the photos from her.  Going to post one on Facebook now -- thanks, Carmen! 

No comments: