Thursday, June 30, 2011

Pop-Up Pianos: Day 13

After work, I took the M104 bus down to 42nd Street and then caught the 7 train to the first stop in Queens. Made my way to Gantry Plaza State Park. I forgot there were two pianos here last year until I saw the park. Nobody was playing the piano when I arrived. In fact, the lid was closed. I sat down to play "Arithmetic" and at the end of the song, a little girl came up to me and smiled. I asked her if she wanted to play, and she nodded yes, so I said, "Go for it!" I got up and ate my dinner (free falafel rice platter -- heh heh, it pays to be loyal). When I finished (and when she finished), I returned to the piano and started to play "Awake." Another little girl came up to the piano and smiled, so I smiled back at her. I finished the song, and the first little girl wanted to play again, so I got up and enjoyed the slowly setting sun, breeze, and view.




After taking these pictures, I sat back down at the piano one last time but for three more songs: "Shadowfeet," "Nightminds," and "Gravity."  A few people clapped softly after I played "Shadowfeet," and even though the piano was slightly out of tune, I couldn't resist playing "Gravity."  I contemplated playing one more, but "Gravity" is definitely a finale song for me.  It can't be topped.

On a final note for the day, I suppose I could leave this for my final entry, but I've been reflecting on the places I've visited over the past two weeks.  At some places, I definitely felt like a fish out of water.  Some places have kept me on my toes (ahem, Columbus Park, ahem).  Other places like Gantry Plaza State Park?  Totally belong.

No comments: