Thursday, September 02, 2004

Carded and Discarded

Wow, I had to sit here for five minutes to think of something to write. September has been pretty uneventful, so let's turn back to August for my story about (almost) getting carded... yes, carded for ginger ale.

I've been craving Canada Dry ginger ale for a while now, but I was too impatient to wait for Saturday night's flight. Whoever said it (on a message board) was right, why must we wait until an airplane flight before enjoying ginger ale? So Mom dropped me off outside a grocery (which I will not disclose but perhaps you can guess which one). I picked up a box of 12 cans and went to the express checkout. When the cashier scanned the box, she asked for my ID. Without thinking too much of it, I said, "Sure!" Then I thought, "Wait, the ID doesn't matter because I'm buying GINGER ALE." So then I said aloud, "Sure, you can see my ID, but it's non-alcoholic." I never got around to whipping out my driver's license, which clearly expresses that I'm not 21, although really, I would have gladly shown it. Don't ask me why! :)

The cashier kind of apologized, but I was amused that we both were caught off guard for a few seconds. The guy behind me overheard our conversation. He joked, "The box *does* say ale." Even I'll admit that Canada Dry's box looks like it could contain alcohol.

Well, the ID thing won't be a problem in a couple weeks. Heh! Argh, that reminds me that I still have to go renew my license.

Hmm... this all reminds me of one of my classes. Yikes, I can't remember which one, but somebody was drinking an energy drink in a really tall can, and the instructor asked if the student was drinking beer. LOL! At 9:30 in the morning in a classroom?

In case you were wondering, "Carded and Discarded" is one of my favorite Freaks & Geeks episodes.

No comments: