Monday, September 13, 2004

Give my regards to Broadway

I'm home now. Wow, what a vacation. I had an amazing time in New York City. Hmm... that is such an understatement. I can't get enough of Broadway musicals. And that's the truth. Wicked was incredible. I'd see it over and over again. I loved watching Fiddler on the Roof. Mom told me it was the first Broadway musical she ever saw. Avenue Q is freakin' hilarious. I love the show. I had a smile on my face practically the entire time. Or, when appropriate, the music tugged at my heart. Really, whoever said "get people laughing and you can tell them anything" is right on the money. Use puppets and you can get away with so much more. I don't want to give away too much in case you see it, so just go see it! Non-puppet related: Christmas Eve's wedding dress is a riot! :) Oh, and I saw Rent. The energy of the cast was unreal. I got major goosebumps watching the show.

Kristin Chenoweth was spectacular at Carnegie Hall. She is really funny and is such a versatile singer. Gotta love that she did three encores. The first one was popular ("Glitter and Be Gay"), the second was emotional (a song for her dad), and the third was a wind-down, happy ending, hum-on-your-way-home tune ('Till There Was You). Ooh, and Kristin sang "Popular" from Wicked. Rosie O'Donnell was in the audience. Concert highlights: "Bill" from the Jerome Kern medley, "Popular," "Taylor (the latte boy)," polaroid pictures (that's how we knew Rosie was in the audience), getting to sing along for one song, and all the jokes I can't remember.

Got to see Broadway on Broadway, the free concert in Times Square. Wow, that was yesterday. Sixteen musicals performed one song each. NBC recorded it, so Wayne Brady and Avenue Q had to sing their numbers twice due to sound problems. Not that I minded! :) Highlights: Sutton Foster, "What You Own" sung by Jeremy Kushnier and Drew Lachey, "It Sucks to Be Me," Jennifer Laura Thompson & Idina Menzel.... and Eden Espinoza. Everyone watch out for her in Brooklyn. I'd never heard her sing (and that probably goes for the majority of the 50,000 people in Times Square), and she was incredible. I had heard that she brings down the house at Wicked when Idina Menzel doesn't perform as Elphaba. It's cool that she's in a new musical. Loved that the people around me sang along to "What You Own" because then I could too without looking foolish. :) We got showered with confetti during the finale.

Got to meet up with friends and family. Toured Radio City Music Hall and saw Usher and Dave Navarro rehearse from the private viewing booth. Got drenched in Wednesday's downpour on the way to Live With Regis and Kelly. Attended that taping as well as the taping of Tony Danza's new show. Ate at Gray's Papaya. Went to South Street Seaport and Chinatown. Ate soup dumplings at Joe's Shanghai. Visited Ground Zero, saw part of the tribute on TV, saw the tribute in lights in the night sky and cried inexplicable tears...

More stories to be told in the form of select pictures... I need to upload all of them first. Nearly 150 or so.

No comments: