Sunday, March 06, 2005

Me encanta la opera Florencia en el Amazonas

Wow. I saw Florencia in the Amazon tonight with Mom. First we attended the pre-performance lecture, which was informative and entertaining (humor-wise and piano-wise!). Then, of course, came the performance. Wow. Wow, wow, wow. Everything came together so well: the music, singing, dancing, sets, lights, props, special effects... everything. The lecturer talked about a German concept about the collaboration of art. Whatever that German word was, it was right on the mark.

The singers were fantastic. I'm still amazed that they can project so well without the aid of microphones. That's probably one of *the* coolest things about opera, and I'll never get over it. I don't want to! I hesistate to point out favorites among the singers. They were all so powerful and are a solid cast. Ooh, special props to the chorus that sang from the sides of McCaw Hall. Talk about surround sound! :))

I *loved* hearing the music live. Daniel Catan's music is so amazing. I don't know, it makes you feel alive (not that any of us are dead), but if you listen to Florencia, you'll know what I mean. You actually hear and feel the pulse in the music, and the soaring phrases are breathtaking.

The opera was visually stunning. I normally don't comment on sets, lights, costumes, but how can I not? The boat could turn 360 degrees. The moving lights on the stagefloor really DID look like the moving river! The butterfly transformation at the end was beautiful. :)

Ah, there are no adequate words to describe everything...

No comments: