Tuesday, January 25, 2005

"She gets the car."

Well, I really do love New York. My knack for knowing random things paid off today. In one of my music classes today, we had a guest lecturer, an assistant conductor here at UW. He invited us to guess what instrument John Philip Sousa, the march king, played. He said if somebody got it right, it would be like getting a car on "Wheel of Fortune." I question the choice of the quiz show, but you get the point. Anyway, somebody guessed the tuba. Somebody else jokingly guessed the triangle. LOL! Well, nobody knew. The conductor told us that Sousa played the violin. How about that? You learn something new every day.

Fast forward a few minutes, and the conductor was telling us the pieces that would be featured in an upcoming School of Music concert. One of them is called "Redline Tango." He was reading a paragraph about the piece and explained that it had a double meaning. I forgot the first, but the second refers to the red line of the subway system in New York. It runs through Manhattan and to BAM, where the piece premiered. "What's B-A-M?" he asked our professor. My professor didn't know. Before I knew it, I called out:

"Brooklyn Academy of Music!"

"What?"

(louder) "Brooklyn Academy of Music!"

"Broadway?"

"Brooklyn!"

"Ohh. She gets the car."

*smiles on both our faces*

Let's hear it for random trivia! Maybe I should apply for Jeopardy! (FYI, I owe it to PBS' "Ghostwriter" for knowing that BAM stands for Brooklyn Academy of Music. LOL! Loved that show.)

No comments: