Saturday, January 08, 2005

Opera novice

That would be me. As opposed to an opera aficionado. This past week has inspired me to see the upcoming productions of Manon Lescaut, Florencia en el Amazonas, and Le nozze di Figaro. I have different reasons for wanting to see each opera (yikes, I keep wanting to type musicals because I'm so used to saying that).

Manon has been labeled as Giacomo Puccini's first successful opera. It's not performed by opera companies very often, so this is my chance.

Florencia is sung in Spanish. How cool is that? It was also written by Daniel Catan in the last decade of the 20th century. Yup, this opera was written during my lifetime. It's also based on themes from Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez (accents over the "i" in Garcia and "a" in Marquez).

I'm watching a production of Nozze on DVD. I can't pass up watching the Young Artists, since I'll be working on the Young Artists Program at my internship.

I had wanted to see operas in the past but never got around to it. To make up for it, this is the year I'm going to see some. (And pick up some programs that I helped proofread and, in some small & supportive ways, create. ;) )

No comments: