Sunday, February 05, 2006

Static/Cling

No, I'm not going to talk about laundry. It's how I feel about my personal Web site. For the past few months, I've considered taking it down. I haven't created new, exciting sections in a long time, and I rarely get the chance to update it.

Truth be told, the program I use to create and maintain my pages no longer works well with the Java on my laptop. It's frustrating because what I see is not what I get.

I was just about ready to give up, but someone (you know who you are) told me to keep the Web site.

I hate that it's so stagnant though. Let's face it. I no longer post pictures of vacations and weddings. That once was the main function of my site. I no longer write musical reviews, although I wish I had continued that. Josh Groban has who-knows-how-many fan sites now, and people are pretty good at finding out what he's up to on their own.

But the one page I decided to update tonight was my Miss Saigon page. Actually, I created a back-up version. Yup, the new Java applet (or whatever it's called) doesn't work well with Yahoo PageBuilder.

See for yourself. Does it at least look decent?
http://www.geocities.com/hullo_kitten/ms_test.html

Compare it to the way things look here:
http://www.geocities.com/hullo_kitten/ms.html

Oh ho ho, there *are* differences. I'm not talking about the text but about the way things appear. You'll see that the spacing is weird. And I can't fix it! Why, God, why this space?

I also realize that if I use the test page to replace ms.html, then I'll lose my counter. Can't believe I've received 8000+ hits. That's not too shabby.

If anyone can recommend a good page-building program, please do. Preferably free or inexpensive.

Ah, I ramble. Don't know if anybody will actually care about this, but I do. An ACab Production's not going anywhere. I just hope I can make it better (visually) and make it interesting (content-wise) again.

No comments: