Friday, February 03, 2006

New Music

"You and your music,
Singing deep in me,
Making nice to me,
Saying something so new--
Changing everything,
Meaning everything,
Calling my heart to you..."

Gawd, those are great lyrics by Lynn Ahrens.

I'm reviving my attempt to write new music. I spent the summer of '03 learning guitar chords and working on music. I kinda wrote a song (one that made me cry, so whoa), but it's not exactly finished. I don't want to return to it because that would involve re-examining old wounds.

If you'll recall (I think I wrote about it here), I wrote a song for my English class. That was amazing motivation. (Kinda wish I had it again.) I tied themes from a novel into my song, which really ended up being about myself. :)

So now, I'm establishing a pattern of writing music. It's a slow, laborious process for me. I have small musical ideas, but I need to work on building on them and seeing things through to completion.

On another note, I've heard some amazing songs lately. If you get the chance, you should listen to Anna Nalick's CD Wreck of the Day, Il Divo's "I Believe in You (je crois en toi)" and "Hasta Mi Final" from their new album Ancora, and Sarah McLachlan's "Dirty Little Secret" from Afterglow. Yes, I'm a little late in discovering "Dirty Little Secret," but wow. It's so good. It's the last track on the CD, and I was attracted to the music, and then the lyrics grabbed me too. I first heard it on January 21, and iTunes tells me I've listened to "Dirty Little Secret" 23 times, so that means I've listened to the song 1.64 times a day. :)

Ah, music. Can't get enough of it.

"Play that melody,
Your sweet melody,
Calling my heart to you."

No comments: