Friday, June 25, 2004

If at first you don't succeed...

What an afternoon! I'm taking the Writing for Mass Media Class this summer. We must ask a not-for-profit organization if they need a student-in-training (in PR training, not training to become a student!) to create public relations projects for them. Yesterday I did massive research on a local theater group. I was so excited about creating a campaign plan that I became overconfident in gaining their approval. They would say yes, right? RIGHT! Wrong. This morning, I had growing concerns. Well, when I called them, the man on the phone was very nice. However, he said that due to financial crisis, next season was up in the air so he didn't want to say yes and give me false hopes. I'd have to contact him in August. Yikes. My class *ends* in August. I was crushed. He said he would normally have taken me, but he turned me down. Hmmm... sorry I couldn't help him with the financial crisis thing since he said no to the PR projects. What next? I logged onto Janice's computer... searching the 'net once again for local theaters. The big ones (i.e. Paramount, 5th Ave., Seattle Rep) don't NEED my services. They have communication departments and PR professionals already. I searched and searched. I almost called the Bremerton Community Theatre, but they are a little too far away for me. They *are* seeking a promotions/publicity/advertising volunteer, however. Then, I don't know how, but I found the web site of Seattle Public Theater in Greenlake. (Is that one, word, btw? It's right on Green Lake, for sure) I called them up, wanting to speak to the community coordinator who talks to potential volunteers. She wasn't there, so I spoke to the artistic director, and when I told her what I wanted to do, she immediately and enthusiastically said yes. They asked me how much time and energy I could commit to this. I'm not quite sure yet, given the fact that I will start working again on July 12. I wonder how much time students in the past dedicated to their NPOs, so I've asked my professor. Well, it's thrilling to know that I'm wanted. I'm willing to commit to this theater community. They've got a cool youth program going on this summer. I was also informed that a music festival is in the works.

I seriously thought I would have to drop this class if I didn't find an organization. I'm so glad I can work with something I believe in and am interested in. Maybe this'll get my foot in the door, or maybe I'll get to see what I really can do for and in the theater. :) I have a meeting with the artistic director (and possibly other staff members) on Tuesday. Wish me luck everyone!

No comments: