Saturday, July 29, 2006

F-U-N!

I saw The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee. Phew! That's the full title, but people just call it Spelling Bee. What a great show!

I was planning to try the lottery for this show, but when I arrived in Manhattan, I decided to check out The Booth (aka TKTS). It was there for 50% off. Since I wasn't in the mood for losing another lottery, I just took care of my purchase right away.

It was so hot and humid at that point that I went to Jamba Juice. Mmmmm. :) Collected some magazines from the Times Square Visitor Center to give me ideas for future weekend outings.
Headed over to Circle in the Square Theatre at one o'clock for the 2 p.m. matinee. When I went inside the theater, I saw actors going inside the same front entrance as everyone else. Yes, I saw Jose Llana walk into the theater! I was going to try to say hi, but someone else beat me to it, and then Jose went backstage. Oh well. Maybe another time. I do plan to go back to see the show sometime!

The participating audience members were fun to watch. I didn't sign up, but the recruiters were very good at getting people to volunteer. One guy impressed the cast when he spelled two words that I guess many people misspell. The cast would turn around to look at him, and he shrugged his shoulder and looked just as surprised that he got them right! Finally, they had to give him the ultra-hard back-up word before carrying on with the show.

Kudos to the entire cast for being such great performers and singers! All of them had shining moments. Understduy Lisa Yuen went on as Rona Lisa Peretti, and she was wonderful. Always good to see Miss Saigon alumni. :)

Like Avenue Q, Spelling Bee stays politically and pop culturally up-to-date! At the end, one of the spellers, Logainne, made a reference to working for President Lance Bass.

Had Gray's Papaya for dinner. Mmmmm. Cheap and filling. :)

Shopped a bit at Macy's. I swear, there's always something new to discover in that store. I have yet to memorize where everything is... Or is that even possible?

It's been a long day, but I'm happy. And I'm going to make a list of shows I want to see. Hehehe.

There are other events I want to go to, but the timing may be off... I'll wait it out and see.

Yay Broadway!

No comments: