Saturday, May 13, 2006

There are officially too many shows I want to see

So many shows, so little time. Notice I said shows. That word encompasses Broadway musicals, Broadway plays (yes, plays!!), and Off-Broadway musicals.

I'm having a hard time deciding what I want to see, given my budget and the primary focus of my trip (informational interviews). Really, I will not have this problem when I actually live in New York. :))

The narrowed list (which is still quite long):
Avenue Q
Hairspray
Lestat
Tarzan
The Drowsy Chaperone
The Wedding Singer
Wicked
Awake and Sing!
Barefoot in the Park
Doubt
The History Boys
Three Days of Rain
Forbidden Broadway: SVU
Altar Boyz

Avenue Q and Wicked are my staples. If I can see one of the two, then great. *sigh* No more student discounts for me. That's a bummer. I'm going to try the Avenue Q lottery, which doesn't have a student restriction.

I just read on Playbill.com that Tarzan will be on Good Morning America on Monday. I wonder if I should wander down there at 8 in the morning. Yikes, that sounds really early (5 a.m. Pacific).

Would be cool to see Sutton Foster in The Drowsy Chaperone. I keep thinking that this is another Thoroughly Modern Millie. I want to see it and I want to be proven wrong. I really do on both counts. This show has a lottery too, but the drawing doesn't take place until an hour before the show starts. That's cutting it close. Althooooough, the TKTS booth has temporarily moved near the Marquis because Duffy Square is undergoing renovation.

OK. The Wedding Singer is a must. :) If I can, I will go.

Anna said she want to see Wicked. Would be fun to go together! We don't have tickets in hand, so that may be a long shot, but I'd love to see it again.

Surprisingly, I am interested in several plays (i.e., the talkies that do not break into song [I just made that up]). I can't remember when I've ever been interested in so many plays in one season. Barefoot in the Park has a discount. I may use that, but musicals are always number one in my book. Then there's Three Days of Rain with Julia Roberts, but -- more importantly -- Bradley Cooper (lol, I was about to type Will Tippin) and Paul Rudd!!! I wonder if tickets are even available. And by tickets, I mean inexpensive ones.

Then there are the Off-Broadway shows. I didn't list it, but I would love to see I Love You Because... It's playing down in Greenwich Village, I think. I have no idea how to find my way around there (too bad Alexa's not around!), so I'll have to pass. But Forbidden Broadway would be great. I love the hilarious parodies, and you get a Broadway-musical sampler all in one show. :) Then there's Altar Boyz, which Mom and Dad saw.

Ah, I'm so excited for New York. I leave in a little over 24 hours. OOOOOPS. I better go! Need to pack and continue preparing for the interviews.

If you're reading this, then wow. Wish me luck!!!

EDIT: D'oh! Well, I should be too upset. Strike Forbidden Broadway off the list. Really, it is forbidden. It's not playing on Broadway right now 'cause it's visiting San Diego. Oh well. Okay, what else can I eliminate?

No comments: