Saturday, March 04, 2006

Over the moon

Last night, I had a dream. I found myself in a desert... Oh wait, that's not what I wanted to say. Let me start over. :)

Last night, I finished my second song of the year! It's been brewing inside me for years now, but I finally got my act together and spent the past week really -- and I mean really -- working on it. Everything came together last night. The lyrics lent themselves to the melody. I quickly found the chords on the guitar. It was a pretty sweet process.

I consider myself to be a very slow writer, but this year I've learned that I can be creative any time of the day as long as I believe in myself. I don't know if that sounds like a bunch of baloney to you, but it means a lot to me. First, I didn't think I could ever be creative on a routine basis. Second, I thought I could only be inspired at a certain time of the day. I just dispelled those personal myths. The music will happen as long as I sit down to work on it.

The best part about finishing this song is that I finally feel free about something that's consumed me for so long. I think that's one of the best things about being a songwriter. It's a cathartic outlet. I didn't think I'd be able to finish this song, but -- lo and behold -- I did. *sigh of relief*

No comments: