Sunday, May 22, 2005

Long time, no blog

Whew, I am swamped with work. It doesn't seem right to use the term "homework" though; that seems to have a "busywork" connotation. I don't have assignments in the same way that I used to. Instead, I'm preparing for a research presentation on Tuesday, and I need to write analytic points for my ethnographic paper. Yup, my "to do" list hardly sounds like "homework." It's work.

Ooh la la, I saw Les contes d'Hoffmann/The Tales of Hoffmann today. Speight Jenkins talked before the opera began, and he mentioned that Mayor Nickels was in the house. We sat in the sixth row, center, and Mayor Nickels and Speight Jenkins sat a few rows behind us to the left. The opera was entertaining and a complex story about love(s). The opera ended with the surround sound of the cast and chorus singing, "Through suffering, we learn how to love." Talk about a goosebump-inducing ending. We gave a standing ovation (well, most of us did), and when the final curtain went down, we could hear the cast shout, "Woo!" LOL! It's their last show of the run and of the season. I picked up extra copies of the program, since my name's in it. Hehehe. What can I say? It's pretty darn cool!

The gift shop had a sale in honor of Richard Wagner's birthday. I bought a Seattle Opera T-shirt. Apparently I'm not the only one who likes to buy magnets, and apparently Tales of Hoffmann was a popular success because they didn't have any Hoffmann magnets left! One more thing about Seattle Opera: They're taking the day off tomorrow in honor of Wagner's birthday. Wish I could take the day off...

Back to work I go.

No comments: