Friday, November 05, 2004

To blog or not to blog

Hey, I feel like I haven't blogged in a while. I mean, so much has happened since Tuesday night. And I feel -- no, I know -- that I have been censoring myself. After all, I haven't blogged about the election results.

Well, let me tell you, I was depressed on Wednesday. How could I not be? After waiting soooo long to vote for the president the first time, it was just really depressing to know that I chose and I lost. Of course, America is a republic and a democracy. A little over half of the voters (barely a majority) got their way, and now a little less than half (hardly a minority) are in shock.

Back to choosing or losing and voting or dying, young voters apparently didn't rock at all. Less than one in ten of us voted, according to NBC. I hate being a young voter. I can't help that I am one, but I just hate when anybody older than the young voter says that we don't vote. It's frustrating. I don't think I'm ever going to hear a good explanation as to why my peer group doesn't vote. No wonder Drew Barrymore got so frustrated when she was filming her documentary. I vote, my friends vote, my clustermates vote. The people I know... they vote! What about everyone else? I really hope John Kerry will be right when he said -- during his concession speech, actually -- that one day our votes will change the world (okay, so I don't remember exactly how he put it).

Beyond the young voter absence from the polls (maybe they just don't know that we all [or most of us] vote by absentee when we're in college), I'm disappointed by the outcome of the electoral votes (and that system altogether), disappointed by the outcome of the popular votes, disappointed about it all.

And I'm still censoring myself. Argh.

No comments: