Monday, October 11, 2004

Proof

Watch out, Romeo & Juliet. You just got bumped from the long-standing reign as "last play seen."

I headed to the Bathhouse this beautiful and sunny afternoon for the matinee performance of Proof. It was soothing to see Green Lake and walk the path to the Bathhouse again. A few minutes after I arrived at the theater, Steve (the managing director) and Shana (the artistic/education director and lead in the play) said hello. That was pretty cool. I wasn't expecting to see them, but I did.

Because I'm a subscriber, I got to choose my seat before anybody else. Seriously, I was the only subscriber who arrived early, and a nice usher let me have my pick of the house. It was a little strange, but I had fun taking the second row, center.

The Bathhouse is an intimate theater, mind you, so anywhere you sit, you can see everything, hear everything, and feel part of the action on stage. I reread the play over the summer and enjoyed its humor. But I seemed to have forgotten how serious it can be. How dramatic it really is. Talk about an intense performance. I give it two thumbs up, and maybe I'm biased because I already liked the play, but I enjoyed seeing it again.

No comments: