Friday, June 14, 2013

Sing for Hope Pianos: Days 13 and 14

Hello! It's Monday, June 24th, and I'm now approaching the home stretch of my 2013 Sing for Hope piano journey recollections.

Day 13: It was another rainy day! At this point in the journey, I realized I wouldn't be able to play a unique piano every single day, and I was okay with that. I had plans to celebrate a friend's birthday after work, so I also told Sing for Hope that I'd stop by their office to pick up my prize pack for winning the Swingin' Sunday contest!

When I arrived at their office, I tried the "let's see if this door opens before I knock" strategy, and sure enough it opened. Perhaps I should have knocked because I walked in on the Youth Chorus rehearsing around a baby grand piano, and they were being either filmed or photographed. Whoops. Thankfully, the Youth Chorus instructor (I didn't catch her name) was so nice and welcoming. She even invited me to sit down and watch them practice. I forgot how much I loved choir back in the day (junior high and college). The Youth Chorus did some group exercises that I'd never done, and I just appreciated all the positive energy that was being spread in that office. It was getting close to six o'clock, so I snuck past the curtain to the desk area of the office and asked for Erin, the community coordinator of the Sing for Hope Pianos project, and Hailey, the social media team member with whom I corresponded about picking up my prize. (Oh yes, I should explain that two screws went missing for the piano in my neighborhood, so I offered to drop off the music rack to the office, as it was no longer secured to the piano.)  It was wonderful to meet Erin & Hailey and see behind the scenes of an organization that brings so much joy to the streets of New York. I remarked that it was so cool they had a piano in their office (actually, they have two, but I was referring to the baby grand).

Day 14: Record-setting day! Read on for the details of my Summer Friday in Brooklyn...

Piano #44: Prospect Park - Grand Army Plaza. As I mentioned in my Day 12 recollections, I knew that I wanted to visit this red & blue piano no matter where it was located. I was actually hoping to visit it on a Saturday, so I could also check out the farmers market, but I had to be flexible about my timing. As long as I got to my final piano by 4 PM, I could avoid the rain. So I started off here, and though it was a hot, sunny day, there was still water dripping randomly from the arch onto the piano and me. Oh well. The sustain pedal wasn't working, and the keys weren't in tune, but it didn't matter. I had finally arrived and played my core trio to celebrate. During one of my songs, a man took pictures of me at the piano and kept walking. That's how it was. There were people who would walk by but not necessarily stay, but I didn't mind. There was also a lot of car traffic passing by.

Soldiers' and Sailors' Memorial Arch
At last...
It just occurred to me that the illustration is the piano that the artist designed in 2011!  Cool! (Also note, if you play a piano with the sun shining in your eyes, the keys will look blue and red, just as they do here.)
Brooklyn Heights Promenade: Take note that I ended up visiting it that day!
Ah, laundromats.
Union Square
One more photo before leaving...
Piano #45: Fort Greene Park. Oh right! So I took the 2/3 north to a stop near downtown Brooklyn (I think), and I knew that I needed to walk east and north to get to Fort Greene Park, except I ended up walking too far east without realizing it. It just meant that I got to see more of the neighborhood, and as I've mentioned on Facebook, I used to love the children's TV series, "Ghostwriter." I wondered where Jamal, Tina, Lenny, and Gaby & Alex lived. :)

When I arrived at the northeast corner of the park, nobody was playing the piano, and in fact the lid was closed (but not locked). I took pictures and then sat down to play. The piano sounded relatively decent compared to the one at Grand Army Plaza, AND the sustain pedal was working. A street piano that has a working sustain pedal in the second week is a gem. :) So I stayed for a while, and I did some recordings, but then I also kept messing up. However, there was one take that I'm satisfied with and am sharing below.
So many details on this "Doors" piano!
From 2013...
... to 2030.
Though there is a car honk near the beginning, this video recording is one of the songs (okay, instrumental version of a song) from my core trio! I learned to play it by ear from listening to Anna Nalick on YouTube, although I had the great pleasure of hearing her sing this song live at Rockwood Music Hall, too (watch the second video for Anna's performance and listen to the lyrics). I remember while I was learning the song on piano, I typed up the lyrics as a "cheat sheet" to help me memorize the music.  Anna has not released a studio recording of this song, and I hope she does one day. It's beautiful.  You can also get a sense of why I don't sing it, too.  It's so specific to her life story, but you can still relate to it.



I stopped by the Prison Ship Martyrs' Monument while walking through Fort Greene Park. Though I passed by it in 2011, I had forgotten that it was featured in "Ghostwriter." Yes, another piece of childhood nostalgia. You'd think I would have ended up living in Brooklyn, haha. No, I ended up loving Manhattan because of Broadway, but funny enough, I don't think I played even one showtune this year.

Piano #46: Columbus Park. I visited this location in 2010 but not in 2011. I can't remember if they had a piano here in 2011, but it wouldn't surprise me if they did. The piano was covered with its tarp when I arrived. I give my fellow Piano Buddies major props. I played my core trio plus Lullaby for Eliana. While I was playing, I noticed a couple bees flying around the flowers. During the final song in my core trio, one bee in particular rested on the tarp in front of me, and I didn't know whether to cry, laugh, smile, or stop. I kept playing & singing and smiled and got teary-eyed. I did want to stop and take a picture, but the desire to get through the performance was slightly stronger, so by the time I was ready to take a picture, the bee had flown away.

This young woman played after me and seemed pretty happy there was a piano there.
The edge of the tarp where the bee rested.
A mother held her son to the piano, so his feet could play the keys.  I sat back down and played "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" for them while the mother sang and the boy laughed.  
Proof that I went to Brooklyn Heights Promenade! The view required a black & white shot.
Piano #47: Brooklyn Bridge Park. Hello, record-breaking piano!  Ooh, it was very sunny at this point, and kids were playing the piano when I arrived, but I didn't mind, as I had to prepare a little sign (see second picture).  Unfortunately, several keys were unplayable, so I only played one piece: Lullaby for Eliana.  And with that piece, I was content to call it a successful two-week piano journey.  I sat at the bench next to the piano to listen to other people discover that many of the keys weren't working.  One woman started playing the theme from Somewhere in Time! Even though she had to stop fairly early on, she played enough of it to stir my soul.  Ooh, I want to learn that piece!  Who wants to buy me sheet music?  Haha!  Or, now I am wondering if it's available in one of those movie piano books at my parents' house.  Must make a point to check.

The keys were beautiful as they were.
Great illustration.
And another.
And another.
I could keep going.
Yep. Oh, I just noticed the two art pieces from the 14th Street / Eighth Avenue subway station.  How did  I not notice them before?  I guess my eyes were drawn to the Statue of Liberty.
I watched the rain clouds approaching and covered the piano with its tarp before I left.  Sure enough, there was a huge downpour just a couple minutes later!
Another shot of the different weather: dark rain clouds followed by sunlight shining through.  Loved the contrast. (Enlarge the photo by clicking on it, so you can see the rays from the sun.)
Stay tuned for the conclusion of my 2013 Sing for Hope piano journey!

No comments: