Saturday, June 01, 2013

Sing for Hope Pianos: Day 1

Hello!  Today is actually June 7th, but I am going to do my best to catch up on the first week of the 2013 Sing for Hope Pianos and am past-dating these blog entries -- otherwise it's going to be confusing. To tell you the truth, I thought I could get away with only posting photos & mini-stories to Facebook and Twitter, but I think I must document this experience on the blog because I'm going to forget the details, and one day, I am sure I will want to look back on all of this. I've already done that for 2010's Play Me... I'm Yours and 2011's Pop-Up Pianos.

First let me back track to January 21, 2013.  I happened to play my piano keyboard.  I happened to long for the street pianos' return.  Well... Tweet and you shall receive. (Also, keep this in mind when I get to Day 7.)

Please click on the picture to view a larger version of this screen grab.  I'm too lazy to crop the image and re-upload!  ;)

So after months of practice and anticipation, 88 Sing for Hope Pianos are in the five boroughs. And as is tradition, I want to visit at least one piano in each borough. I went into this hoping to establish a new personal record of unique pianos played, but so far rain and other commitments (I'm a Piano Buddy this year & I have other scheduled events to attend) may keep me from doing this. Also, this year, I am doing something different, and I can't tell you about it just yet, so that's also why a new personal record isn't top priority. You'll have to wait and see if I pull it off...

If you've seen some of my Facebook posts, you may recognize some of these photos and stories. However, I plan to fill in some details and add other photos & stories along the way. Without further ado...

Piano #1: Inwood Hill Park. The perks of being a Piano Buddy: You get to play the piano first at 6 o'clock in the morning when you unlock the piano.  There was no specific time to unlock the piano, but I couldn't wait.  The piano sounded slightly out of tune, probably due to the heat and humidity, but of course, I enjoyed playing it! The sound carries well in this location. (I learned today that I could hear it from way across the street in Isham Park!) When I finished, a man came up to me and asked, "Is that the only piano you're going to play?" Haha! I told him no. He said that his girlfriend played 50 pianos last year, but I'm sure he meant 2011 as there were no pianos in the city last year. ;)

In other news, it was already too hot to be wearing a hoodie.
Piano #2: New York Public Library, Stephen A. Schwarzman Building. After resting at home for a little bit (I tried Yoga Nidra for the first time!), I headed down to this piano. A man was sitting down at the piano, but he wasn't playing. I didn't have to wait too long before he left. There were people sitting in nearby chairs and pedestrians walking on the sidewalk. I am not going to provide a setlist for every piano, but if it interests you at all, this year, I have a core trio of songs memorized and will play them all & more if able (i.e., if time allows and I feel comfortable doing so... I just go with the flow). During my final song, a man on the sidewalk, whom I noticed had stopped to listen, asked me about the pianos. It's always a pleasure telling people about the pianos. I am not a fan of small talk, but the topic of pianos is not small talk. It's specific and fascinating. It allows strangers to connect with each other. It's wonderful.

#2: Mosaic Piano
Though I brought my reusable water bottle with me, it wasn't enough. I had to take breaks and hydrate. And I've recently grown fond of Juice Generation and am visiting all their locations in the city and trying the different juices to find out which one is my favorite. They claim that if you visit often enough, the staff will know your favorite by heart. And as far as I'm concerned that's true. I visited the original Juice Generation, and while I was waiting for my order, a man came in and asked the guy behind the counter, "What's my favorite drink?" And the Juice Generation guy started to list a very specific order with add-ons. Then the customer turned to me and said, "I haven't been here in a year!" I was super impressed. Sorry, back to discussing the pianos!

First time trying Citrus Super C
Piano #3: Little Red Square. These pianos have a fun way of revealing talented people in New York City. I hadn't expected a jam session. When I approached the piano, a woman sitting near it asked me, "What are you going to play?" I answered her. And after I finished the song, she told me that she had just listened to a man play and she was eager to sing something. She requested Sara Bareilles, and unfortunately I don't have any Sara B memorized, but I own her songbooks! I just didn't have them with me. I asked if she knew Brooke Fraser or Missy Higgins. I invited her to play & sing something, and she started singing "Angel" by Sarah McLachlan but stopped and asked me if I could play the chords off her iPhone. I don't do well with chord names alone. I need to read notes. So we tried a little bit, and I was hoping I could harmonize with her, but all my concentration was devoted to playing the piano while squinting at the phone.

Then, she asked me if I knew "Shadowfeet" by Brooke Fraser.  Do I?!?  Oh, I was thrilled. THRILLED!  Of course I do!  I had the sheet music.  And it was magic.  She could sing.  If I could compare her to one artist, I would have to say Kelly Clarkson.  She has that mix of pop, soul, and riffing.  Oh the riffing.  I was honored to accompany her!

We finished up with "The Special Two" by Missy Higgins.  She said she'd heard it once before.  I sang lead vocals, and she harmonized with me.  It was cool.

#3: Puzzle motif piano
Piano #4: Chobani SoHo. I've had an internal debate on whether or not to count this piano, but yes, I've decided that I am.  Otherwise, it's too confusing.  See, before I left my apartment, I watched a bit of the livestream, and requested that Stanley play "Imagine" by John Lennon.  He didn't have that as part of his repertoire, so he played a little bit of "Hey Jude."  You see, Stanley is an interactive player piano.  So, while I didn't play this piano, I collaborated with him.  And visited him.  So he counts.

#4: @StanleyPiano
I had fun wandering around SoHo.  I usually like to know where I am at all times, but in this case, just walking the streets reminded of being in London.  And seeing this sign really reminded me of London and that connection to my beloved nephew. He's with me whenever I need him.

Love you and miss you, O. Always.
Piano #5: Washington Market Park. This turned out to be my last piano of the day.  I was worn out from the heat, but I had already posted the day before on Facebook that I'd visit this piano, and when I set something in motion, I like to see it through when I can.  Ha, I had hoped #6 would be South Street Seaport, so I could cross off lower Manhattan from my list of places to play a piano.  Well, South Street Seaport would have to wait, and as it turned out, it worked out perfectly.  Stay tuned... (Ha, get it?)

Fun, funky, and vibrant.

2 comments:

highlyharried said...

I so love that you were a piano buddy. Not to mention the t-shirt! Did the piano stay in reasonable condition over that time? No broken keys, acts of vandalism, being rained on to death?

And I know what you mean about small talk vs piano talk. Even when you have the same conversations over and over they're real, driven by real wonder and curiosity, real connections with new persons...and sometimes they go in surprising directions.
What's the most interest encounter/s you've had? Have you met repeat piano pilgrims? Have you kept in touch with anyone?

I well-remember the challenge of wanting to accompany someone but not having the repertoire. It's awesome that you guys found something.

Also, loving the piano art. NYC did a great job.

Allison said...

No broken keys on my piano! The sustain pedal stopped working in the second week, but that happened to several of the pianos I visited. It rained so much this year, and I found myself checking the weather forecast constantly to make sure I was around to cover the piano with its tarp. :) Someone did tag the piano with a small bit of graffiti -- the word DRONE -- but it can be painted over before it gets donated to a school, community center, or hospital.

I still have to write about my most interesting encounters. Well, when I got to meet the artist of the Make Your Mark piano, that was a pleasant surprise.

I've become semi-familiar with the people who've posted their pictures on Facebook and Twitter; in fact, I saw a couple of them at the Lincoln Center event, but I admit I got too shy to say hi. Maybe next year. :) I'll write more about a piano person I kept running into on the last night when all the pianos were at Lincoln Center.

The amazing singer from the Little Red Square piano and I plan to meet up for another jam session sometime!