Monday, June 10, 2013

Sing for Hope Pianos: Day 10

Hello again! It's still Saturday, June 22nd, and I'm going to squeeze in another day from my Sing for Hope Pianos extravaganza. Day 10 was a one-piano day, and it's a good set-up for Day 11.

Piano #33: Morningside Park. After a very early morning check on the piano in my neighborhood, I made the decision to head down to Morningside Park before work and play the piano while nobody else was at the playground. My planned worked!

The gate around the playground was closed, but upon closer inspection I realized I could open it up -- yes, I admit I did contemplate climbing over the gate in the brief period of time when I thought it was locked.

There was a forecast of more rain that day, so the tarp was covering the piano, and the lid was shut. I removed the tarp and took pictures because really, that Broadway/food piano combined with the view & sounds of a waterfall was pretty close to perfection.

Yes, I included my organic banana on the bench, which I had for breakfast while sitting closer to the waterfall after playing the piano.
Unfortunately, the keys were in pretty bad shape. I tried to play one of the songs I had memorized, but I had to stop. It just wasn't working with so many unplayable keys.

There was, however, a melody playing in my head that I hadn't yet played on any piano, so I played it for the first time in the upper keys. I like the way it sounded. It was in a key I wouldn't have picked had I had a fully functioning piano. I still hear that melody in my head from time to time. It's a nice little musical mantra.
Playing around with my camera's settings. I wanted to capture all the lovely green I was seeing.
As I was leaving Morningside Park, I saw this statue across the street and decided to take a closer look.  Upon a Google search tonight, there's another statue like this in Paris.
Stay tuned for Day 11...

No comments: