Monday, January 16, 2006

Bring on the bubbly

I watched the opening night performance of Die Fledermaus at McCaw Hall. This Seattle Opera production of Johann Strauss Jr.'s operetta is amazing!!! It was my first operetta, and I loved it. The cast was hilarious. (Some jokes even referred to contemporary pop culture [think ABC television shows].) Jane Eaglen cracked us all up: "My dress! She's wearing half my dress!" Nancy Maultsby made me laugh with her Prince Orlofsky laugh. LOL just thinking about it. :) Sarah Coburn soared with her awesome high notes.

You gotta love the fact that these singers don't have microphones when they sing, yet can fill the hall with their voices. Everyone -- and I mean everyone -- was superb. :) I'm a hardcore musical fan. I think operetta was right up my alley with spoken dialogue and spectacular music. Sometimes you need a good laugh, and Die Fledermaus provided that on Saturday. I can't wait to see it again this Friday with the alternate cast.

No comments: