Sunday, April 10, 2005

The ongoing case of mistaken identity

I got breakfast at about noon today. When I went to the cashier at McMahon 8, she said, "Good morning!" and added, "How are you?!" in a friendly voice. Not the usual, monotone "How are you?" that you usually get from stores, cafeterias, coffee shops, and other places where they really don't care how you are but ask because it's part of a script. So I said, "I'm fine, how are you?" And she said, "Fine, thanks."

Then she rang up my food, and here's the dialogue that occurred:

Cashier: "Let's see. Chocolate milk. That's the biggest risk you've taken all week."

In my mind: HUH??? This is the first time I've seen you since finals week.

Me (aloud): "I'm sorry?"

Cashier: "You mean you're a risk-taker all the time?"

In my mind: Well, no, but it's just chocolate milk. I'm so confused, and I *know* that I'm not the person you think I am.

Me: *smile* "I think you've got me mistaken for someone else."

Can't remember what she said, but she didn't address that she had mistaken me for someone else.

I thank her and leave.

Argh, the weird thing is I knew she mistook me that one time during finals week last month. I almost opted to pay at the line farther away, but just as an experiment, I went to her line. And now I know... this isn't the only incident of mistaken identity. It's something I just have to live with. I guess though, looking on the bright side, at least the girl who looks like me is nice, too. Things could be worse.

No comments: