Monday, May 03, 2010

Cinnamon Snail at the Hell's Kitchen Flea Market

A few days ago, Alexa let me know that she was going to the Hell's Kitchen Flea Market on Sunday, May 2nd, because the gourmet food trucks around the city (and it turns out, beyond the city) would all be in one place that day.  I've read about these trucks in Time Out New York, back when I had a free subscription to that magazine.  Sadly, that free subscription ended in February.

I checked out the flea market's website on Saturday night and got excited when I saw that Cinnamon Snail was offering "the most decadent vegan doughnuts" according to Time Out New York's website.  Plus, they serve only organic food.  Make that a double plus in my book.

Alexa texted me on Sunday morning to let me know that she would be there, so I made my way down to Hell's Kitchen on 39th and Ninth Avenue.  As luck would have it, Cinnamon Snail was the first truck!  I ordered the sandwich that was recommended by Time Out New York, a portobello carpaccio on semolina fennel bread.  There were also caramelized onions and green veggies inside the sandwich.  Instead of a doughnut, I ordered a mini raspberry cheesecake for dessert.  It looked so good, I couldn't resist.

After receiving my order, I met up with Alexa and her friends as they waited for Korean BBQ.  It was a long wait, so I ended up eating my sandwich & dessert and even finished before Alexa was able to order her food.  For the record, she said it was fine if I ate while we waited in line.  :)

Oh my gosh, the portobello carpaccio was SO! DELICIOUS!  My mouth is watering just typing this blog entry.

My mini cheesecake survived the wait in a brown paper bag (it was hot & sunny yesterday).  It was also very tasty, creamy and flavorful.  I could have eaten it in maybe two bites, but I took smaller bites to savor the taste and textures.  I wonder what the recipe is.  As Cinnamon Snail only serves vegan food, that means there wasn't actually any cream cheese in the cheesecake.  Maybe it was some sort of tofu substitution.  (On a tangent, I have tried tofutti in place of cream cheese on bagels, and it's quite good.)


I was tempted to purchase more treats before I left the flea market, but the line was much longer than when I arrived.  I wish the Cinnamon Snail truck was based in NYC instead of Hoboken.  I'd definitely track it on Twitter and then track it down to get some wonderful food if it were.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A million yum.
Grace