Monday, January 14, 2013

Change in 2013

One week from today, President Obama's second inauguration will take place. These next 4 years are crucial for many issues that matter to global citizens, including animal rights. In a recent blog, I quoted Captain Paul Watson, and I'll repeat the quote here:

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the Civil War, don't look at where you stand on slavery today. Look at where you stand on animal rights."

In November, I wrote a letter to President Obama about the senseless dolphin slaughter in Taiji. Last month, I received a reply in the mail, and it was a generic response with no reference to the dolphins. I am doubtful that President Obama read the letter himself. Though I am disappointed in the content of the reply, a friend pointed out that my letter has been logged by the White House. Now we need strength in numbers. Quantity. Volume.

While I waited for a reply from the White House, a red cove day in Taiji prompted me to write to President Obama again, but this time I chose to use the WhiteHouse.gov contact form to expedite the communication process. I noticed that none of the categories available for the subject of the message pertained to animal rights.

I also noticed that the We the People petition website on WhiteHouse.gov did not have animal rights among its available categories.

So now I'm asking you to help me make change in 2013 by signing this petition. Let's get President Obama and his White House administration to add animal rights as a category for the WhiteHouse.gov contact form and We the People petition website. I decided to use Change.org as my online petition platform because with every signature, an e-mail automatically gets sent to President Obama about this very issue. I know we can make this change happen if everyone who cares about animals signs and shares this petition.

Let's do this. Thank you!
Allison

P.S. Need inspiration to sign my petition? Click here.

No comments: