Monday, June 28, 2010

Play Me, I'm Yours... Day 8

After working inside all day, I was itching to get back out and play. A lot of pianos are way downtown, but I didn't want to travel too far.  It wasn't until around 7:30 pm that I decided where to go, so I hopped on the 1 train and headed to 145th Street. I thought I was clever when I tweeted that I might try playing "There's a Fine, Fine Line" again. However, during my walk to the train, I realized that would not be the case and tweeted this. At 145th Street, I walked the downward slope toward the Riverbank State Park, and I could see the beauty before sunset.

There's a wonderful view of New Jersey and the George Washington Bridge (which inevitably makes me think of In the Heights).  I've really appreciated traveling to parts of New York that I haven't been to before.  All because of this project.

I got a workout walking around in search of the piano.  I walked the entire length of the park, retraced some of my steps, and was getting worried I wouldn't find the piano at all.  Finally, I found a park ranger and security officer, and they pointed me in the right direction and also let me know there were TWO pianos.  That came as a surprise to me!  The one they first pointed out, unfortunately, was covered in plastic and locked up.  I was very disappointed because the rain had long since passed, and there was a canopy overhead.  Why the need for the lock?

Cheese puffs on the ground!  Cheese puffs on the ground!
My consolation was that I had one more chance to play a piano for the night, and I only could hope that it wasn't locked.  Hope was granted...

Piano 14: Riverbank State Park
I almost wanted to run when I saw the piano closer to the entrance.  I hadn't noticed it when I first entered the park because I didn't think it would be where the buses were parked.  I didn't run because a) I was sweating profusely and b) there was a woman sitting at the piano.  She wasn't playing though.  In fact, when I plopped myself down near the piano, she was making a call on her cell phone and said that I could play because I was more talented.  I don't know why she made that statement, but I didn't hesitate to start playing.  Pulled out all my sheet music and set it all up, but then I proceeded to play "Arithmetic" from memory.  When I first started playing, two little kids on scooters came up and listened for a bit, but they were more interested in playing, so they took off.  The woman also finished up her phone call and left, so it was just me with the piano to myself.  There were some people standing at a distance and also others exiting a building (I think a complex with a swimming pool, but I don't know for sure) from time to time.  Next up, I played "Where I Stood" by Missy Higgins.  It's on her second album, On A Clear Night.  I've been meaning to karaoke this song forever, but it's kind of sad, so I never sing it at birthday parties.  In any case, I love the song, and I'm glad I could finally perform it outside.

Switching genres, I played my favorite part of "Another Day" from RENT.  Whenever I do this, basically I start with "The heart may freeze, or it can burn.  The pain will ease if I can learn there is no future, there is no past.  I live this moment as my last..."  I keep playing but instead of playing Roger's interruption, I skip to the coda: "I can't control my destiny.  I trust my soul; my only goal is just to be..."


After I finished playing the snippet, I played "Your Eyes" in its entirety.  Another one of the D keys (this time an octave up from Gansevoort Plaza's piano) was depressed, meaning I could play it the first time and it would make a faint sound, but I had to lift the key back up to elicit another sound out of it.  I had no shot of playing "Scarlet", so I switched back over to Missy Higgins and played "Nightminds" followed by "Special Two."  While I was playing "Special Two" I knew my next song would thematically be "Grow Old With Me." (If you know both songs, then you'll know why they go together.  And even if you don't, it makes sense, doesn't it?)


I started to play John Lennon's fine music, and then I realized I needed that D key.  Oops.  So I played a little slower than usual tempo so I could lift the key back up... and then some young, teen boys noticed me playing and they decided to pester me.  I put up a wall immediately and continued to play.  One of the boys asked if I'd sing him a song.  Inside I was thinking: Um, I am singing a song, but I'm not singing to him.  Another one of the boys asked if he could play with me, so I just nodded my head -- honestly, I didn't care, I just wanted to finish the song.  I had to turn my sheet music back over, and they read the title aloud and made up their own melody, repeating the words "grow old with me."  They sat down for a little bit but quickly grew tired of that too and left.  I would not be riled.  I would not just stop playing in the middle of song.  They could not break through my wall.  I only wish I had the chance to play what I wanted to be my final song.  It'll just have to wait for, pardon the phrase, another day.

P.S. My most attentive audience members tonight were the insects that flew around my face because I was so sweaty and warm.  Ew.  I admit, the insects scared me more than the hecklers ever did.

Total Pianos Played By Borough:
Manhattan: 12 pianos
Queens: 2 pianos

No comments: